New West Writers Photo Prompt
Welcome to the NWW Photo Prompt where twice a month we offer a photographic writing prompt. We publish our writing challenge on the 1st and 15th days of each month, but you can respond to any prompt, any time you like.
Participation is simple. Just:
- Check out our photo; write something awesome and post it to your blog.
- Display the photograph somewhere in your post.
- Use “NWW Photo Prompt” in your post title, AND/OR
Add a link to our post offering the prompt you’re responding to.
- Add “nww photo prompt” to your tag list, so we can find your post.
- (optional) Announce your response as a comment on the NWW Photo Prompt post.
So long as you use the “nww photo prompt” tag, or post a link to your submission in a comment, we’ll add a link to your post on our next photo prompt.
- Tell a story about what’s happening in the photograph
- Find something in the photograph to tell a story about
- Write a poem about the mood or emotion you get from the photograph
- What’s the first word that comes to mind looking at the photo? Start there!
- What’s the backstory?
- What happens next?
- Who took the photo, and why?
- Continue the story we posted for the prompt.
- Or change its ending!
Your written piece can be as short or long as you like, a couple lines or a couple thousand words, even a six word story. Write in any form, in any genre. Poetry, haiku, flash fiction, longreads, non-fiction, memoir… anything!
But, most of all, have fun!
Current and past prompts:
On the Disappointment of Being Canadian August 151, 2015
Palm Fronds August 1, 2015
Dimples July 15, 2015
Dancing With Vertigo July 1, 2015